Associate Data Engineer
About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. This platform allows for cost-effective and more efficient ways for companies to analyze and make improvements in plant genetics. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We have purpose in our work-we are curious, engaged, and have fun. We maintain an active learning mindset and are motivated by diverse people and thoughts. We are energized by all innovators and together we aim to make an impact and contribute to building a better world.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
The Technology Acceleration team is focused on accelerating, scaling, and simplifying the product development process at Benson Hill. We are a diverse, energized, and experienced team of industry professionals with a proven track record of delivering novel technology that advances the field of agriculture. We are focused on enabling a robust data pipeline and deploying automation and robotics to the areas of greatest impact. We collaborate across a broad spectrum of internal technology teams along with key 3rd party partnerships to design and deliver systems that meet the rapidly evolving needs of Benson Hill’s business units.
The successful candidate has prior Data Engineering experience with exposure to multiple programming languages, technical platforms and basic understanding about machine learning concepts. Write, test, debug, and maintain data and machine learning pipelines based on the requirements provided and with direction or guidance from more senior members of the team. Generate code adhering to standards as defined by the engineering team, document action items for development, participate in effective code reviews, and actively participate in team meetings. Follow standard and effective software and machine learning development methodologies and release processes.
(Essential Duties and Responsibilities)
Benson Hill requires a dedicated data engineer
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable code.
- Work with users to understand end-user requirements, formulate use cases, and translate them into pragmatic and effective technical designs
- Enable creative scalable engineering solutions for data gathering and integration for structured and unstructured data sets
- Automate & orchestrate ML pipelines
- Monitor, optimize, and maintain data pipelines and or ML solutions
- Engineer cloud deployed software solutions to enable data and analytics pipelines
- Continuously improve and maintain code quality through writing unit tests, automation, and code reviews
- Contribute ideas to help improve our technology, coding standards and products
(Competencies and Qualifications)
- S. in life science, data science, computer science, or other technical field
- 1-3 years experience in Python
- 1-3 years experience building ETL pipelines using SQL & relational databases
- Experience building scalable data solutions & ML pipelines to meet analytical business problems
- Theoretical or experience with machine learning
- Solid OOP and software design knowledge – can write software that’s extensible, reusable, and meets desired architectural objectives
- Experience with AWS cloud platform or other cloud platforms
- Relational databases & SQL
- Familiarity with Linux / Unix environments
- Should be familiar with Agile processes
- Self-motivated to learn new knowledge and techniques
Preference Given to Applicants with the Following
- Experience with GIT, Docker, Web services
- Experience with DevOps, MLOps, & Cloud Security best practices
- Experience with Data Catalogs, Data Lakes, & Feature Store Data Modeling
WE HAVE A TOTAL REWARDS PACKAGE AT BENSON HILL THAT CONSISTS OF MORE THAN JUST YOUR PAYCHECK. TOTAL REWARDS AT BENSON HILL COVERS PAY (SALARY AND BONUS), HEALTH (EMPLOYER BENEFIT CONTRIBUTIONS) AND WEALTH (INVESTMENTS). SOME OF THE PERKS INCLUDE:
- A Collaborative Environment
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- FREE Dental and Vision Coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- And more….
Something looks off?